How to view the GSSA Cemeteries on Google Earth
How to access the GSSA Cemetery Initiative using Google Earth
• Download the Google Earth software free from http://www.google.com/earth/
• Click on the .kmz file to view the map of GSSA cemeteries on Google Earth
What does the map show?
The GSSA Google Earth Map opens with a high level view of Southern Africa showing all the GSSA cemetery locations with a GSSA icon. The standard features of Google Earth can be used to zoom in or out, rotate the image, or “Fly to” various Placemarks or coordinates. Places of interest shown in the default Google Earth maps also assist with navigation.
The cemetery name will appear next to the GSSA logo.
By zooming down in the general area of interest, the icons separate and the Cemetery Name pops up. Where there are multiple cemeteries on one farm, the distinguishing number 1, 2, etc also appears as example below.
Colour Codes of the Cemetery Names
The colour codes used for the Cemetery Name text are as follows:
|Processed and Published on DVD and Photo:||Bright Blue|
|Processed and Published on DVD only:||Bright Green|
|Published in Photo album only:||Yellow Green
|Not yet processed:||White|
The Popup Window
Clicking on the GSSA icon loads a popup window with the following information:
- Cemetery title information: (Farm Name, Locality, Magisterial District, Province, Country)
- Recording Status (ranging from “Published on DVD & Photo” to "Not yet Processed"
- Number of names in Cemetery (on DVD)
- Military interest marker
- Click on "View Photos Online" to view the Photo Album run by the eGSSA (if photos of this cemetery are available)
How do I find a Cemetery in which I am interested?
Features presently available are:
These files are updated monthly.
- Hits: 15958