Archive Crawl 2020
Archive Tours planned for 2020/2021
One day one realises how hectic the corona danger is and the next day one may observe that the slackening of the lockdown rules happen sooner and faster than anticipated... all over the world.
Anything can happen. Everybody noticed that this year.
Gauteng Archive Crawl 2020
At this stage GSSA the has hope that the tour planned for October 2020, still may happen. Depending on when archives and libraries may open again AND how much participants will trust their own corona skills (masks, social distances, sterilizers etc.).
Thus the organizer will carry on with the necessary bookings and usual weekly email preparations. Registered participants have already made use the time during lockdown to follow up the messages.
Note: Nobody has cancelled yet due to the crisis.
Should the lockdown not be recalled in time for the tour in October 2020, it will just be postponed.
To those interested in the Archive Crawl in and around GAUTENG in October 2020,
In the past most Participants lived in or near Pretoria. They slept at home and used their own transport. But for those who stayed with friends, family or in a guest house a lift club was organised.
- 19-23 October 2020 (Monday morning until Friday afternoon)
What is included?
- Picnic lunches, guides, tips and donations, entry fees, up front information/training per email, and all arrangements.
How much does it cost?
- Approximately R 800 per person payable before 31 August 2020. This assumes that you will use your own transport or lifts provided by the group to reach the various archives. (Read below for some reduction.)
What if I do not live in Gauteng and have to use extra transport and accommodation?
- Everything possible will be done to organise all this for you and if necessary to adjust your costs accordingly.
- GSSA-members of ALL branches are welcome.
What is the size of the group?
- 10-15 (including the co-ordinator).
Institutions & Archives to be visited?
- 2 days at the Transvaal/National Archive in Pretoria (TAB).
- 1 day at the LDS (Familysearch, the reading room and film archive of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints) in Parktown.
- 1 day at the GSSA library, housed at the Heritage Foundation (Erfenisstigting) in Pretoria.
- 1 day at the archive of the Reformed Church (Hervormde Kerk) or at the National Library (legal deposit library).
How do I book?
- Requesting to be added to the mailing list, this will ensure that you are supplied with the respective “GGSA Toere” banking details in good time
- To deposit R 200 in “GGSA Toere” between 1 January and 31 March 2020.
What is the aim of GSSA offering these tours?
- To assist beginner genealogists (but also more advanced GSSA members) when visiting archives; GSSA supports members who join one of the tours for the FIRST TIME by subsidising them with R500 if they pay the full deposit during January or February..... or until the subsidy is used up (the reduction is applicable to the full tour price – the deposit still is R 200);
- To build team spirit upong members and branches.
What are the pre-conditions for participants?
- It is recommended that you have access to the internet for a little training and plenty of information per email.
- As a beginner researcher you really need to be interested in genealogical research in your or other particular families and need to be prepared to read and work through the emails you receive during the months before leaving.
- Should you be a more advanced researcher, you are also more than welcome to join in as you waste no time on all the arrangements. The information and training will prepare you for everything. Should you classify yourself as novice researcher, you’ll be provided with some extra user-friendly information for beginners – almost 50% of the participants usually make use of this “Beginners’ Training”.
- You need to be a paid up GSSA member of any branch of your choice. It is accepted if you may want to renew your membership or to join a little later – e.g. whenever your branch has its first meeting. You could be assisted to join if necessary.
- To be on this or other tour mailing lists as an Interested Participant. Remember you are not obligated to take the tour but bookings, however, are only done by paying the deposit.
For more information or to be added to the mailing list please email me by clicking on my name Ellen Harmse
- Hits: 1148