Cemetery Recording Project Outline
Updated - April 2019_0
To preserve the genealogical information contained in cemeteries of South African interest and make the information accessible to genealogical researchers.
Scope and objectives of the project
- The Project is an initiative of the Genealogical Society of South Africa , a non-profit organisation manned by volunteers
- The aim is to preserve information by the collecting, recording, processing and safekeeping of cemetery data. This is achieved by recording the genealogical information, including birth, death and burial data plus any personal historical data (e.g. occupation, marriage or any other family relationships) contained in the cemetery data.
- The data is collected from all cemetery type sources, including headstones, burial registers, memorials and cremation plaques.
- The project covers all cemetery data of South African interest, inside and outside of South Africa.
- A prime focus of the Project is the collection of information from the very many farm cemeteries that exist throughout SA. These have no burial registers and the headstones are more subject to neglect and damage than the town cemeteries (which are also under threat).
- Credit and acknowledgement will be given to Recorders.
The Project is organised in two parts:
1. The GSSA Cemetery DVD Project
2. The eGSSA Gravestone Project
3. Other features of interest are:
- The GSSA webpage:
|Please also visit the GSSA homepage www.genza.org.za for further information. Select the required tab for PROJECTS / GSSA Cemetery Recording Project. This area contains various reports giving the status of the cemetery recording effort, which cemeteries have been recorded, etc. This cemetery recording status is recorded in excel files on the web page, go to / Cemetery DVD Updates and Reports. http://www.genza.org.za/index.php/en/cemetery-dvd-updates-a-reports These files are updated monthly.|
- The GSSA Google Earth Cemetery Initiative
Explore the GSSA cemetery locations live on line! Visit the GSSA web page and click on GSSA Google Earth Cemetery Initiative, http://www.genza.org.za/index.php/en/google-earth-cemetery-files download the .kmz file and see our cemetery locations on a Google Earth platform. You will need “Google Earth” preloaded on your pc to view this file (free download from https://www.google.com/earth/
- About the Cemetery Index
The Cemetery Index is used to manage the recording effort and correlate data between the DVD and eGSSA projects. It contains 3 main areas:
- Recording – please help
If you are interested in helping with recording work, data processing or any other aspect of the Project, please contact the Coordinators noted above for further information.
|Thank you for your interest|
|The Cemetery Recording Team|
- Hits: 5943