Welcome to the GSSA
We serve a community of dedicated amateur family researchers. No one that has not yet started with genealogical research can imagine the passion, the determination and the great exultation that the genealogist experience when achieving a breakthrough, and makes a final link to complete a family line. It is an experience of a lifetime.
Moreover, for us it is more than just a family register, it is a family register augmented with the family- and cultural history of the time. Actual experiences of family groups, especially in remote areas, could be an indication of political, religious and cultural values of that time. This may be completely lost to later generations if not recorded in the family register.
14 May 2013
INVITATION: Date: 12 - 14 July 2013
eGSSA will be presenting a genealogy workshop in Grahamstown to which you are invited
Friday 12 July 2013
We will be visiting the Cory Library for an orientation tour. Those who are interested can do their own research. The GSSA Western Cape branch will assist beginner genealogists and Mr William Jervois has agreed to personal interviews with those interested.
Saturday 13 July 2013
A variety of speakers with interesting topics have been arranged for this day
* Antropology and Genealogy - meaning an data. ...Michael Whisson
* Early Germans in the Eastern Cape.... Trudie Marais
* Objects and Family History.... Fleur Way-Jones
* The 1820 Settlers - Ordinary Folk. ... Liz Eshamade
* Treasures of the Western Cape Archives.... Siybonga Ntamesi
* Sailing from St Helena. ... Merlé Martin
* Myths and Legends - claims by settlers for distinguished origins.... William Jervois
* Unlocking military history. ... Pat Irwin
The talks will be presented in English.
A walk through the historical parts of the town will conclude the day.
Exhibitors for the Friday and Saturday
* Albany Museum
* Border Historical Society
* Grahamstown genealogy discussion group
* GSSA: Western Cape, Eastern Cape and eGGSA
* Lower Albany Historical Society
* South African St Helenian Heritage Association
* The South African Military History Society Eastern Cape Branch
* Western Cape Archive and Record Services (KAB)
Sunday 14 July 2013 Photographing the Grahamstown cemetery
Registration fee R200. It includes tea and light lunches for the 2 days.
Registration closes 30 June 2013